Decrease Font Increase Font

P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616

1. May 18, 2018 FTVA Board of Directors' Meeting: After ascertaining a quorum, President Ted Colquhoun called the meeting to order at 1:30 p.m. in the A5/8/9 Conference Room, Larson Hall (bldg. 2007), Security Hill, Joint-Base San Antonio-Lackland.

2. Attendance:

Ted Colquhoun - President Evan Smith - Vice President
Lee Anthony - Interim Treasurer Phred Sevening - Secretary
Barnie Gavin Dennis Buxton
Ken Maynard Ken Williams
AJ Harrison Bob Baert
Ron Haygood Bob Benitez

3. MINUTES: The March 2018 Meeting Minutes were read and approved as written. Reminder there was no June 2018 meeting due to lack of a quorum.

4. TREASURER'S REPORT: Was presented, discussed, and filed for audit.


    1. The May meeting of the FTVA Alamo Chapter was called to order by President Barnie Gavin at 5:45 PM at BJ’s Brewhouse at 17503 West I-10W. There were 23 members, spouses and family members present. Items discussed included:
    2. This was our first meeting at this location so please provide feedback to the board if you would like to continue meeting here. One noted problem with this venue was the sound and not being isolated enough for group discussions. Please provide us your feedback as well as any other locations that may be suitable for groups up to 30 people.
    3. The "They Served in Silence" DVD is still available. You can still pick up a copy at the next meeting.
    4. Ron Haygood is going to contact the commander of the 543rd to discuss how the Alamo Chapter can support that organization. We currently have $690 in our treasury that needs to be allocated to a cause or possibly returned back to the FTVA. That funding may also be used for other events. If you have an idea on something we could support please let us know.
    5. Mr. Ron Haygood is retiring on Thursday 24 May at 1000 in the BALA, 25 AF bldg. 2007. All are invited to celebrate with Ron and his family as he starts another great adventure and thank him for his many years of great service to our country and the Intelligence community.
    6. There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 6:45 PM followed by good fellowship and comradery.
  2. ALOHA CHAPTER:  Awaiting input.
  3. GOLD COUNTRY CHAPTER:  Awaiting input.
  4. HERITAGE CHAPTER:  Awaiting input.
  5. MID-ATLANTIC REGION CHAPTER:  Awaiting input.
  6. ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAPTER:  Awaiting input.


  1. New Special Activities Chair:  Ted is still working this one, it remains OPEN.
  2. National Museum of the Air Force (NMUSAF) Update::  This action item deals with collaborating with the NMUSAF staff to stand up a USAFSS/ESC/AFIC/AIA/AFISRA/25 AF display in the museum. Nothing new to report.
  3. FTVA Presence on Facebook::  After short discussion about increasing FTVA presence on Facebook, decision was made to table this discussion until a new FTVA IT lead can be identified and brought on board.
  4. New Publishing Software for the Remain in Touch Newsletter::  Dennis Buxton has been exploring options to obtain new publishing software to improve the overall looks and presence of the Remain in Touch Newsletter. He will continue to research, and once he has identified a program he feels is best suited to our needs, he will advise the board.
  5. Electronic Payments Update::  Bob Baert shared with us that the program that was approved by the FTVA BOD and implanted has not been all that well received by current and potential members. Since it has been brought on line, only three payments were made. After conducting a brief cost-benefit analysis, Bob determined that using the approved program is simply not worth keeping it active on our website. Lee Anthony will continue research to identify a more suitable program.
  6. Spring Social AAR::  Ken Williams presented a Spring Social after-action report (AAR). A total of 47 guests attended, and overall the event went OK; although there was a SNAFU with the amount of food that was provided.


  1. 70th Anniversary Ball/Banquet: This year marks the 70th Anniversary of the founding of U.S. Air Force Security Service (USAFSS), and consensus is we want to make this year’s anniversary events more special than normal. Ted will work with 25 AF Commander to secure an appropriate high-level guest speaker. A short discussion ensued on best venue to host the event; and after learning how costly the event would be if held off base, decision was made to hold the event at the Gateway Club again.
  2. Replacing FTVA Membership Chair: After actively serving the FTVA Board of Directors for 23 years, Bob Baert is resigning as FTVA Membership Chair effective 1 July 2018. The bulk of his duties with us have actually been related to Web/IT activities related to maintaining/administering membership duties. Decision is to get a solid list of the duties so we are able to accurately recruit a replacement. More to follow at the June meeting.



  1. Bob Baert: The FTVA.ORG website will have to get a certificate attached to it effective NLT 1 July.
  2. A.J Harrison: Some members have reached out to let me know there have been some problems accessing the Hall of Honor documents on our website. Need to look into this, as we are closing in on the HoH nomination deadline.
  3. Dennis Buxton: Introduced the new Golf Chair, Bob Benitez; and then let us know that the draft Remain in Touch Newsletter is out for review/editing and he needs input back by Monday, 21 May.

10. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1431. The next meeting will be June 15, 2018 at the SSFCU Cafeteria starting at 1430 (note new start time for this upcoming meeting only).


Loren R. "Phred" Sevening
FTVA Secretary

Association Officers
Board of Directors (BOD) Minutes
Scheduled BOD Meetings
FTVA History Reports
Our mailing address is: To E-mail the Freedom Through Vigilance Association,
select one of the below:

Freedom Through Vigilance Association
PO Box 691616
San Antonio, TX 78269-1616

File last updated: August 19, 2018 1:36:48 PM CDT