Decrease Font Increase Font

P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616

1. July 19, 2018 FTVA Board of Directors' Meeting: After ascertaining a quorum, President Ted Colquhoun called the meeting to order at 1:30 p.m. in the Cafeteria, bldg. 2000, Security Hill, Joint-Base San Antonio-Lackland.

2. Attendance:

Ted Colquhoun - President Evan Smith - Vice President
Lee Anthony - Interim Treasurer Phred Sevening - Secretary
Roy Burnett Dennis Buxton
AJ Harrison Bob Benitez
Steve Anderson - 25 AF Senior Liaison Major Bailey, 25 AF Anniversary POC

3. MINUTES: The May 2018 Meeting Minutes were read and approved as written. Reminder there was no June 2018 meeting due to lack of a quorum.

4. TREASURER'S REPORT: Was presented, discussed, and filed for audit.


    1. Meeting of the Alamo Chapter of the FTVA was held at the Saltgrass Steakhouse on IH-10 at 5:30 PM. Twelve members and spouses attended. President Barnie Gavin called the meeting to order at 6:15 PM and welcomed everyone. The only order of business was discussion of financial support to the 543 ISRG and specifically to the 531st Intelligence Squadron. Jesse Greene contacted the Assistant First Sergeant of the 531st Intelligence Squadron, TSgt Peter F. Murray, and told him of the concerns the chapter had regarding support to the unit. Jesse was unable to make this month’s meeting, but Barnie did talk to him about his discussion with TSgt Murray. TSgt Murray agreed with the chapter providing money for an annual award. Jesse will continue to coordinate with the unit to determine what award the money from the chapter will be used for.
    2. There was some discussion regarding placing some type of plaque or paver near the C-47 on Security Hill. Barnie will follow up with that and talk to Ted Colquhoun to see if this would be possible.
    3. Leroy Rogers also attended the meeting. It had been a long time since he was able to make the meeting due to being hospitalized and recovering from a very serious bout of dehydration. He encouraged everyone to drink plenty of water, especially during this very hot weather. He also gave me the name of an individual we might want to contact for a guest speaker at one of the FTVA events, possibly the Spring Social. Lt Col (retired) Army Staff Judge Advocate Jeffry Addicott. He is currently a professor at St Mary’s University, and instructs on Terrorism. Barnie will talk with Ted on this issue as well.
    4. There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 6:45 PM followed by good fellowship and comradery.
  2. ALOHA CHAPTER:  Awaiting input.
  3. GOLD COUNTRY CHAPTER:  Awaiting input.
  4. HERITAGE CHAPTER:  Awaiting input.
  5. MID-ATLANTIC REGION CHAPTER:  Awaiting input.
  6. ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAPTER:  Awaiting input.


  1. New Special Activities Chair:  Ted is still working this one, it remains OPEN.
  2. National Museum of the Air Force (NMUSAF) Update::  This action item deals with collaborating with the NMUSAF staff to stand up a USAFSS/ESC/AFIC/AIA/AFISRA/25 AF display in the museum. Nothing new to report.
  3. FTVA Presence on Facebook::  After short discussion about increasing FTVA presence on Facebook, decision was made to table this issue until a new FTVA IT lead can be identified and brought on board. After short discussion, decision was made to convene a small-group meeting shortly after Anniversary Week events to tackle this and related issues (increasing membership, etc).
  4. New Publishing Software for the Remain in Touch Newsletter::  After conducting research, Dennis Buxton decided to stick with what is available for now. That may change as his efforts toward the Remain in Touch Newsletter move forward.
  5. New FTVA IT Team Lead::  President Ted Colquhoun introduced Roy Burnett as the new FTVA IT Team Lead, a position formerly held by Bob Baert, who also held the title of Membership Chair and other duties. Roy is in the process of assuming all the IT-specific duties that Bob Baert did for us for well over 20 years. Bob will be missed – welcome aboard, Roy!

7. NEW BUSINESS: 70th Anniversary Planning Update:: Ted Colquhoun introduced Major Chris Bailey, the 25 AF Anniversary Week POC who provided an update on current status of planning. All programs are on track, with appropriate POCs assigned. Major Bailey and Ted met with the new 25 AF/CS, Bill Apodaca, to update him on what the FTVA and Anniversary Week are all about, and Mr Apodaca is on board with us. Major Bailey offered up for consideration the idea of a 5K fun-run or a Ruck March in an effort to garner more active duty participation. The idea generated good discussions with decision made to convene a small group to explore further and have decision and appropriate announcement/advertising made. Guest Speaker for the Banquet is recently-retired Lt Gen Brad Heithold, a former AIA Commander. We may have to fund a portion of his travel, and will know more as those details get worked out.



  1. Dennis Buxton: Deadline for submission to the next edition of the Remain In Touch Newsletter is 1 August.
  2. A.J Harrison: Recommend we consider redoing the Memorial Plaques in the back of the Bernard A. Larger Auditorium (BALA), and a reminder that this year is the 60th anniversary of the C-130 shoot-down in Armenia.

10. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1440. The next meeting will be August 13, 2018 in the Commander’s Conference Room, Larson Hall (bldg. 2007), Security Hill, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, starting at 1500 (note adjusted start time for this upcoming meeting only).


Loren R. "Phred" Sevening
FTVA Secretary

Association Officers
Board of Directors (BOD) Minutes
Scheduled BOD Meetings
FTVA History Reports
Our mailing address is: To E-mail the Freedom Through Vigilance Association,
select one of the below:

Freedom Through Vigilance Association
PO Box 691616
San Antonio, TX 78269-1616

File last updated: August 19, 2018 12:38:59 PM CDT