FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. MARCH 18, 2016 FTVA BOARD OF DIRECTORS' MEETING: After ascertaining that we had a quorum, President Ron Haygood called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the SSFCU Board Room.
|Ron Haygood - President
||Bob Cope - Treasurer
|Phred Sevening - Secretary
3. MINUTES of the February 2016 meeting were read and approved with minor edits.
4. TREASURER'S REPORT: Was read and filed for audit.
5. CHAPTER REPORTS:
- ALAMO CHAPTER: Nothing submitted.
- ALOHA CHAPTER: Nothing significant to report except we're planning note next Aloha Chapter get together for the end of April.
- GOLD COUNTRY CHAPTER: Nothing submitted.
- HERITAGE CHAPTER: Hope this finds everyone healthy and happy! Nothing major to report from metropolitan San Angelo. Our March social with the International Officer's Course was a big success. We hosted students from Taiwan, Jordan, Japan, Egypt, and the Republic of the Congo. They were a small but very active group and we had a lot of fun chatting with them. We're partnering up with a number of local organizations to help bring the Moving Wall back to San Angelo in October. One of the base organizations ins leading the charge, and we'll be helping as needed (donations, manpower). Not sure how many of our folks will make it to the Spring Fling. I'm working a big volunteer event so it doesn't look like I'll make it - but I'll try! You guys taker EZ and hope to see you soon!
- NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION CHAPTER: Nothing submitted.
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAPTER: I will get you something ASAP. We have mtg this Thursday and are getting ready for a Vietnam Commemoration Ceremony on Apr 29th. We have been working with CMSGT Nurrie and the Heritage Chapter on setup. More in the next day or so.
- SUNSHINE CHAPTER: Nothing submitted.
6. OLD BUSINESS:
- USAFSS Display at the National Museum of the Air Force. Ron Haygood and Phred Sevening recently met with 25 AF Deputy Chief of Staff to pursue sponsorship by 25 AF leadership of this initiative. The 25 AF History Office team will most likely play a role, too soon to tell if they will be overall project lead, or simply serve in an advisory capacity.
- Guest Speaker for Spring Social: We have locked in Brig Gen Peter Lambert, 25th Air Force Vice Commander, as our guest speaker for the spring social. Motions were made, seconded, and approved to present $20 gift cards to each of the deployers at the event, and $100 donation in Brig Gen Lambert's name to the Intrepid Fallen Warriors Foundation at Ft Sam Houston, along with a one-year membership to FTVA. Current plan is to invite Lt Gen Bansemer (former Air Force ISR Agency Assistant Vice Commander) to serve as guest speaker at the banquet during the Anniversary Week festivities.
- Changes to FTVA Constitution: In order to ensure our strategic messaging is consistent, decision was made to change Article IV of our Constitution to make minor corrections. "Official Activities" will change to "Vigilant Partners;" "Sports" will change to "Golf; " and "Administrative" will be deleted. In keeping with the FTVA Constitution and Bylaws, these simple administrative changes are authorized; no changes will be made to our Bylaws. Motions were made, seconded, and approved, to accept the three changes.
7. NEW BUSINESS:
- Color copy of our Newsletter: Request was made from one of our members to produce and mail out color copies of the Newsletter. After short discussion, decision was made to not produce hard copies of the Newsletter in color because the online version is in color, and the printing costs exceed our budget.
- Texas War Memorial: There is an initiative within the State of Texas to stand up a Texas War Memorial. The Texas Air National Guard is involved, and their POC reached out to Ron Haygood to invite the FTVA to participate. After short discussion, motion was made, seconded, and approved to advertise through our Newsletter to give members an opportunity to participate in the Living War Memorial section to tell the stories of the Silent Warrior. No other action or commitment from FTVA was approved.
- Communicating with Members in the Field. There has been a recent increase in the number of inquiries (from current members, and non-members) asking information on finding or connecting with a specific member. After short discussion to remind everyone that we do not give out private information on our members, decision was made to ensure that such requests are handled by appropriate member of the Board of Directors. Taking this approach ensures we remain within the legal boundaries of our charter.
- Airman's Memorial Museum: The Airman's Memorial Museum on Lackland is expanding; it might be an opportunity for FTVA to get involved. After short discussion, decision was made to not get FTVA formally involved; Dennis Rassmussen will advertise the opportunity in the next Newsletter, and will include info on the Museum's website should any member want to pursue on an individual basis.
8. CORRESPONDENCE: Col (Ret) Jerry Marshall sent an entertaining letter seeking to renew his membership.
9. AROUND THE ROOM:
- Dennis Rassmussen: I have been working with Pepito Figueroa to ensure we honor our Fallen Eagles properly, in keeping with all the proper protocols. We need to be more consistent; as it seems we have had half-page write-ups on some, and only one or two lines on others. We recognize that information concerning the Fallen Eagle may be hard to come by, but we do realize that we need to ensure we do right by everyone.
- Ted Colquhoun: The 25th Air Force Chief of Staff, Mr Steve Doucette, is working to identify a suitable POC to serve as the 2016 Anniversary Week lead. I am still working with 25 AF/PA to get pictures of the 2015 Larson Award winners. Will share them with Rass once I have them, so he can include in the next Newsletter.
- Dennis Buxton: I placed a deposit with the Golf Course of Texas to reserve our spot for this year's Anniversary Week golf tournament. I am working with current 25th Air Force POC, Mr Karl Kator, to ensure his replacement is ready; Karl has orders to PCS to Langley AFB, VA; 25th Air Force will need to get a replacement for him.
- Ron Haygood: The April Board Meeting is just before the Spring Social, which is good as it allows us to close any loose ends before that event.
10. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1415. The next meeting will be in the SSFCU Board Room at 1330 on 15 April 2016.
Loren R. "Phred" Sevening