FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. JUNE 17, 2016 FTVA BOARD OF DIRECTORS' MEETING: After ascertaining that we had a quorum, President Ron Haygood called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the SSFCU Board Room.
|Ron Haygood - President
||Ted Colquhoun - Vice President
|Bob Cope - Treasurer
||Phred Sevening - Secretary
||Col Kyle Forrer - 25 AF Senior Liaison
3. MINUTES: The May 2016 meeting minutes were read and approved with minor edits.
4. TREASURER'S REPORT: Was read and filed for audit.
5. CHAPTER REPORTS:
- ALAMO CHAPTER: The meeting of the Alamo Chapter of the FTVA was called to order at 6:15p.m., June 16th, 2016, by President Barnie Gavin with 17 members and guests in attendance.
- Pres Gavin mentioned that he has been in contact with "Willie's Roadhouse" on 1604. Willie's Manager stated that for charity, they would donate 15% of the billing of an event. Pres Gavin has queried Willies Road House to see if that would apply to a veteran's organization like the Alamo Chapter. He contact Willies, but has not heard back from them yet. He will follow up on this. Pres Gavin mentioned that he had also been in contact with the Commander of the 543rd to discuss how the Alamo Chapter could contribute to the 543rd Awards Programs. More to follow on this item.
- Member Dennis Buxton, FTVA Golf Tournament Director, provided an update on the status of the Tournament to be held on 22nd of September at the Golf Club of Texas on Rt 211, East of Castroville off Highway 90W. The cost will increase to $45 per player with a schedule noon (1200) Shotgun Start. All members, including non-players are invited to the festivities.
- Member Ron Haygood, President of the Freedom Through Vigilance Association (FTVA), provided an update of the FTVA Anniversary/Reunion Activities Schedule from 22 - 24 September, commencing with the Golf Tourney on the 22nd, the EC-47 Rededication Ceremony honoring our Fallen Eagles and the following Picnic at Stapleton Park on the 23rd, and the Hall or Honor Induction and 25AF Direction/Update on the morning of the 24th in Ardisanna Hall.
- Ron Haygood also briefly related the events that took place at Elmendorf AFB this past May when the last remaining AN/FLR-9 was taken "off line" after running continuously for 50 years. Ron reported that there is a move afoot by our brethren FTVA folks in Alaska to set aside at least a portion of the FLR-9 apparatus as a historical artifact.
- Finally, Ron stated that the Florida Chapter is about to be reinstated. The Chapter will support our SOF troops in the Hurlburt Field area.
- Pres Gavin adjourned the meeting at 6:19 stating he will be checking with Houlihan's for next month's meeting as a "sit down" meeting with all spouses cordially invited.
- ALOHA CHAPTER: The Aloha Chapter held its second social of 2016 on May 6 at Ruby Tuesdays Mililani. Al Teel continues to be MIA - probably due to he's the only one of two (Steve Crain the other) STILL working! We welcomed Dave Jones to his first social with this group. Dave shared, "I've lived on this island for 40 years and have been to Mililani once and that was 35 years ago!" Well, now it's twice! Highlight of our latest get-together discussions was Ken Een's sharing that he had recently submitted an HOH consideration for Ken "Hopi" Hopkins. Should Ken be selected, he would be the third Aloha Chapter recipient besides Ken and Dickie Hites. Mahalo to Ken for taking this on. The remainder of our discussions focused on our usual two topics of: Old War (and I mean OLD) Stories of assignments to Clark AB, PI; Hakata, JA; Viet Nam; and some one(?) to Cambodia. Concerning stories of health issues, Fred Collins shared his recent 12 hour experience at the Tripler Emergency Room, and Dickie Hites shared that he is scheduled for outpatient surgery on May 9th, which highlights our goal and pledge to "Remain in Touch" (RIT)! Until Next Time, A-looooo-ha!!
- GOLD COUNTRY CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- HERITAGE CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- SUNSHINE CHAPTER: Awaiting input
6. OLD BUSINESS:
- Elmendorf FLR-9 Retirement: Ron Haygood provided a recap of his TDY trip to Alaska to participate in the FLR-9 deactivation ceremony at Elmendorf AFB. He went with the 25 AF Vice Commander for a site visit coincident with the deactivation. The ceremony was very well done, with local and state level dignitaries and VIPs attending. Of note, the FLR-9 was first powered up in May of 1966 and has run continuously since that time until it was powered down for retirement as part of the deactivation ceremony. Ron and Ted Colquhoun are working with 381st ISRG leadership in an effort to connect the unit with active FTVA members in the Anchorage area. Intent behind connecting the unit with FTVA members is to hopefully arrange to provide the requisite manpower and administrative support that will allow the unit to convert the FLR-9 into a historical display.
- Anniversary Week Update: Ron Haygood met with 25 AF Chief of Staff to determine status of anniversary week planning under the helm of the new 25 AF POC, Major Octavia Heard. The CoS arranged for Maj Heard to meet with Ron soon to ensure everything is on track for the event. Ron shared with us that Lt Gen Bansemer is confirmed as keynote speaker for the banquet.
7. NEW BUSINESS:
- FTVA Hall of Honor Nominations: This year there were 18 HoH nominations submitted for consideration. Selection will not be easy, it never is. Expect selection to be made by 8 July, with names submitted to 25 AF/CC prior to announcement.
- New FTVA Chapter in Alaska? During the visit to Alaska, Ron Haygood met with 381st ISRG leadership to discuss the potential for standing up an FTVA Chapter there. Bob Baert is scanning the current FTVA membership roster to identify active members from that area; Ron and Ted Colquhoun will use that list to reach out and collaborate on standing up a new chapter. Col Streeter, the 381st ISRG Commander, is very supportive of the initiative.
- Florida Chapter Status Update: Lee Anthony and Ted Colquhoun are collaborating with active FTVA members in the Hurlburt, FL area to reinvigorate that chapter.
- Membership Renewal Letter from Mrs Patricia Kearsley, wife of deceased CWO Kearsley seeking to renew her membership for another year. After short discussion, Ron stated he would return her renewal check and give her a life membership. Mrs Kearsely is in her 90s, this seemed to be the right thing to do.
- Responding to FTVA website visitors: Ron Haygood mentioned that he responded by email to the past few visitors to the FTVA website, thanking them for visiting and checking us out. Reaching out to them in that manner resulted in two of them signing on as new members. Ron will continue to reach out to those visitors who share their contact information.
9. AROUND THE ROOM:
- Col Kyle Forrer: It is official, Mr Steve Doucette, the 25th Air Force Chief of Staff, is the 25 AF Senior Liaison to FTVA.
- Dennis Rassmussen: To piggy-back on my comments from last meeting on how the Newsletter appearance has improved; I received an email from member Bill Simms expressing his appreciation for the improvements.
- Bob Baert: I need the reunion documents back so I can send them out.
- Barnie Gavin: Who does nametags now? I have been approached by a member of the Alamo Chapter seeking a nametag. Ted Colquhoun let us know that Lee Anthony is doing the nametags; Ted took details on the new nametag order to provide to Lee.
- Ted Colquhoun: Lee Anthony volunteered to serve as the Special Activities Chair.
- Ron Haygood: We are preparing to order another round of hats to have ready for the Anniversary Week activities. Also, going through the Fallen Eagles list to make sure it is current for the Memorial Ceremony.
10. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1407. The next meeting will be in the SSFCU Board Room at 1330 on 15 July 2016.
Loren R. "Phred" Sevening