FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. JANUARY 15, 2016 FTVA BOARD OF DIRECTORS' MEETING: After ascertaining that we had a quorum, President Ron Haygood called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the SSFCU Board Room.
|Ron Haygood - President
||Andy Smith -- Vice President
|Bob Cope - Treasurer
||Phred Sevening - Secretary
|Col Kyle Forrer - 25 AF Senior Liaison
3. MINUTES of the November 2015 meeting were read and approved with minor edits.
4. TREASURER'S REPORT: Was read and filed for audit.
5. CHAPTER REPORTS:
- ALAMO CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- ALOHA CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- GOLD COUNTRY CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- HERITAGE CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAPTER: Awaiting input
- SUNSHINE CHAPTER: Awaiting input
6. OLD BUSINESS: USAFSS Display at the National Museum of the Air Force. After short discussion the BOD reached consensus that this staffing action should be accomplished by an official 25 AF headquarters element. Ron Haygood will discuss with appropriate 25 AF leadership to ensure the right action officer is assigned and the project is completed.
7. NEW BUSINESS:
- Lifetime Membership for Directors Emeriti. After short discussion, motion was made, seconded, and passed to provide an FTVA Lifetime Membership to Directors Emeriti on a case-by-case basis. Motion was made, seconded, and approved to confer a Life Membership to Doug Holden.
- Guest Speaker for Anniversary Week Banquet and Spring Social: Official request has been submitted asking the Director of National Intelligence James Clapper to speak at the 2016 banquet. If he is unable to attend, we will ask Lt Gen Bansemer to speak. For the Spring Social, President Ron Haygood will ask Rick Francona; and if he not able to attend we will invite Brig Gen-Select Dan Simpson, current Commander of NSA-Texas.
- Sunshine Chapter Update: Current Sunshine Chapter President Jim Kaus emailed Ron Haygood to inform us that the Sunshine Chapter will most likely be disbanded due to lack of support. Ron responded by letting him know there are challenges to keeping membership current across all chapters, and then asked him to consider turning the reigns over to the vice president to continue keeping the chapter solvent. Jim Kaus has not yet responded to Ron's request.
- Challenges in Recruiting New Members: There is a growing challenge across all chapters to gain new members, how can we connect with our current active duty personnel to convince them to join us? Some of the ideas discussed include:
- Reaching out directly to senior NCOs/Chiefs, contact those who are getting ready to retire because at that point most of them will be thinking about their legacy in this business and may be more inclined to join.
- Reaching out to garner more leadership involvement, as that seems to be the most effective approach.
8. CORRESPONDENCE: None.
9. AROUND THE ROOM:
- Dennis Rassmussen: Ken Maynard volunteered to serve as a member of the Nomination Committee. The notices we receive announcing unit/group reunions seems to have slowed down. In the March issue of the Newsletter we will include something about the 2015 Larson Awards. We need chapter updates for the Newsletter, and it would be good to include pictures.
- Bob Baert: We do a decent job of getting word out to our members when needed; it might be good to take a similar approach in getting the word out to those who we are targeting as potential new members. May need to work with 25 AF/PA and/or JA to ensure we do it legal and proper.
- Ken Williams: Need to ensure we get all the right data on the deployers from 2015 so we can honor them at the Spring Social.
- Col Forrer: I will contact 25 AF/PA to get pictures from the 2015 Larson Award presentations and to help spread the word among potential members.
- Barnie Gavin: The next meeting for the Alamo Chapter is next Thursday at Logan's Roadhouse on I-10. I will provide a chapter update after that meeting. Also, we are setting up a bank account and will need to provide all the appropriate information from our chapter Board of Directors.
- Ron Haygood: Maj Gen Shwedo briefed at the recent C2 Summit at Nellis AFB, with one of his topics being the possibility of standing up Global Vigilance Command; no feedback yet, hope to get that after his return. I will be TDY next week to the UK.
10. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1438. The next meeting will be in the SSFCU Board Room at 1330 on 19 February 2016.
Loren R. "Phred" Sevening