FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. June 21, 2013 BOARD OF DIRECTORS' MEETING: After determining that we had a quorum, Vice President Ron Haygood called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the SSFCU Board Room.
|Ron Haygood -- Vice President
||Phred Sevening -- Secretary
|Maj Keith Rogers – AFISRA Anniversary Event POC
|Wayne Amann -- AFISRA/PA
2. MINUTES: The Minutes of the MAY 2013 meeting were read and approved with minor modifications.
3. TREASURER'S REPORT: Not available.
4. OLD BUSINESS
- GEN OTTO DEPARTURE: FTVA contributed $100 the Wounded Warriors on behalf of Gen Otto as a going-away memento. Subsequent discussion ensued regarding where donations should be made in the future. No decision made, but consensus was the Center for the Intrepid at San Antonio Military Medical Center (SAMMC) is perhaps the best choice due to the superb program there caring for wounded warriors. Each event where a donation in honor of an appropriate recipient happens, decision will be made on a case by case basis.
- ANNIVERSARY UPDATE: Lots of changes forced on us because of sequestration. There may be challenges in getting on base due to various gate closures. AFISRA Honor Guard will be deactivated effective 1 July 2013 (not related to sequestration); and combined into a greater Joint Base San Antonio Honor Guard. However, some honor guard services may be reduced. AFISRA will not be able to fund personal travel for members of SSgt Dickson's family, but the hope is that many family members will attend. (SSgt Dickson is the latest ISR Agency Airman killed in the line of duty in an MC-12 crash). There is a good chance there will be no missing man flyover at the memorial service. Discussion on banquet menu resulted in going with a buffet this year. That recommendation was made because of a few recent events held at the club using the buffet arrangement and it seemed to work quite well. The new AF ISR Agency Commander, Maj Gen Jack Shanahan, will be asked to be the guest speaker.
5. NEW BUSINESS.
- SHARING MEMBERSHIP DIRECTORY. There has been an increase in requests recently to have the membership directory shared via email; vice the current once-per-year hard copy directory. After much discussion, motion was made, seconded, and approved to share the directory via soft copy with the proviso that it not be used for mass-mailing email spamming activities.
- BASE GATE CHANGES. Due to sequestration, nearly all Lackland AFB access gate hours have changed. This will have an impact on Anniversary Week activities, especially the Hall of Honor and Annual Membership Meeting on Saturday. Will make sure this is widely publicized in the newsletter and other venues.
- ARDF MUSEUM at GOODFELLOW. Heritage Chapter members are working with appropriate Goodfellow AFB officials to stand up an ARDF Museum at the Cryptologic School on Goodfellow AFB. After short discussion, agreement was reached to table this one until President Lee Anthony and Treasurer Bob Cope can participate.
- AIR FORCE ISR AGENCY MOTTO UPDATE: Shortly after arriving, Maj Gen Shanahan, new ISR Agency Commander, wanted to elevate awareness of the Agency's motto by having a competition to determine if there is any interest in changing it. The competition indicated that "Freedom Through Vigilance" remains the favorite, and so the motto will not change. Freedom Through Vigilance it is, and so shall it remain.
6. CORRESPONDENCE. Received a thank you letter from Wounded Warriors Foundation for the $100 honorarium given to them on behalf of Gen Otto in honor of his departure from the ISR Agency.
7. AROUND THE ROOM:
- RON HAYGOOD: The Gold Coast Chapter requested some hats so they would have them available for the chapter members. They are also seeking ways to expand their interaction with the ISR units in CA. Ron will call to discuss, with focus on the need for them to work with ISR Group leadership. The NCR Chapter revival effort continues to struggle. The Rocky Mountain Chapter is doing well, with many proactive new members ramping up the momentum. Membership dues refund was sent to Sunshine Chapter. FTVA President Lee Anthony is in Colorado Springs speaking at the U-28 memorial event. Gen Shanahan met with the Wing and Center Commanders right after the change of command ceremony and in the discussions the NASIC Commander requested that we return to the full Larson Awards program of the past, with all medal finalists coming to San Antonio for a banquet. Due to sequestration it won't be any time soon that we will be able to return to this level; so in the meantime the competition will go on but the finalists will get their medals mailed to them for local unit commander presentation.
DOUG HOLDEN. Presented a check he recently received for a hat, and announced he wants to step down as Director of Special Activities to concentrate on other activities in his life. He will remain an FTVA member, just not as active in his current capacity.
- WAYNE AMANN gave a good recap of recent events within ISR Agency, all available on the AFISRA website.
8. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1435. Next meeting will be July 19, 2013 in the SSFCU Board Room, starting at 1330.
LOREN R. "Phred" Sevening