FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. OCTOBER 18, 2013 FTVA BOARD OF DIRECTORS' MEETING: After determining we had a quorum, President Ron Haygood called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the SSFCU Executive Board Room.
|Ron Haygood - President
||Andy Smith - Vice President
|Bob Cope - Treasurer
||Phred Sevening - Secretary
|Col Mike Shields - AFISRA Senior Military Liaison
3. MINUTES: The minutes of the August 2013 meeting were read and approved with minor edits.
4. TREASURER'S REPORT: Was read and filed for audit.
5. OLD BUSINESS: 2013 Anniversary Week Recap:
- GOLF TOURNAMENT: The golf tournament started an hour later than normal this year, to accommodate morning golf participation on the course. Next year we hope to go back to the noon start.
- REMEMBRANCE CEREMONY: This event went very well, even with changes forced on us by sequestration; there were no bagpipes so we used a CD for the music. The wreath-laying was a very nice touch, so well done that recommend keeping it intact as part of the ceremony. A short discussion ensued focused on options for Honor Guard for next year, including using a local ROTC team (high school or college), or a local VFW team.
- PICNIC: Did not seem to be as many people this year as we have seen in the past. Overall it was a great event.
- HALL OF HONOR: The induction ceremony was very well done. It is clear that Major General Shanahan and staff put serious time and effort into the event.
- BANQUET: Overall another great event; with 201 tickets sold, making it the third largest banquet to date. Everyone seemed to like the buffet style venue and the food seemed to be better than previous banquets.
6. NEW BUSINESS:
- NEWSLETTER CHANGES: Bob Crabtree is joining the Newsletter Team. Starting in the next Newsletter, the Vigilant Partners roster will be included as a two-page "centerfold" to make it easier to see. Finally, Bob Baert is looking for a new place to mail the newsletters from, as the current facility has made some changes that are no longer as "user friendly" as before; especially given the increasing size of the Newsletter.
- GIFT FOR OUTGOING FTVA PRESIDENT: After short discussion, motion was made, seconded, and approved to send a small token of FTVA BOD appreciation to Lee Anthony to honor his two terms as FTVA President. A gift card to a nice restaurant was sent to Lee and his wife Jen.
- THANK YOU LETTERS were received from John Lewis, Denny Alvey, and Dee Studavent extending appreciation to FTVA for the overall exceptional events for this year, and the personal touches FTVA BOD provided.
- REQUEST TO VIDEO RECORD FUTURE EVENTS: A request came in to have future events related to Anniversary Week recorded to show others who could not attend. After short discussion regarding the logistical challenges, motion was made, seconded, and approved to decline this request.
- FOLLOW-UP ON 6911 REUNION: One of the attendees at this year's 6911 reunion reached out to Col Ryan, AFISRA A5/8/9 Director, and shared some historical documents and perspective with her; with apparent intent of getting current ISR Agency senior leadership involved in future reunions. No real decision for FTVA BOD to be made here; although discussion did expand to address possible FTVA and/or other organizational support.
10. AROUND THE ROOM.
- Phred Sevening: On behalf of Ken Williams, opened discussion at this meeting regarding who to invite as banquet speaker for next year. After short discussion, recommendation was made to have Ken ask through Maj Gen Shanahan, to invite Director Clapper to speak.
- Joe Hurst: Announced he is stepping down as Chair of the Golf Tournament to allow somebody else to shine. Joe has already found a replacement, Dennis Buxton.
11. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1415. The next meeting will be 15 NOV at the SSFCU Executive Board Room starting at 1330.
Loren R. "Phred" Sevening