FREEDOM THROUGH VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 691616
San Antonio, Texas 78269-1616
1. MARCH 19, 2010 BOARD OF DIRECTORS' MEETING: Vice President Ron Haygood called the meeting to order at 1330 hours in the A5/8 Conference Room, Larson Hall (Bldg 2007) on Security Hill, Lackland Air Force Base.
|Ron Haygood – Vice President
||Loren "Phred" Sevening – Secretary
|Dennis "Rass" Rassmussen
|Wayne Amann -- AFISRA/PA
|TSgt Mark Richardson, Chief, AFISRA/Gen Larson Awards Program
2. The meeting opened with presentation of the new ISR Agency Operations Video that Gen Heithold's staff created, intended to be demonstrated to wide audiences as a means of bolstering understanding of and appreciation for the ISR Agency in today's fight. It is a high-speed, fast-paced, dynamic video that really drives home the impact that ISR has on today's battleground.
3. MINUTES: The Minutes of the FEB 2010 meeting were read and approved.
4. TREASURER'S REPORT: Not read.
5. OLD BUSINESS
- SPRING SOCIAL. Spring Social will be held 10 April 2010 at the Lackland Gateway Club, and everything is on track. Current plan is for AFISRA Commander, Major General Heithold, to be the guest speaker but there is a chance he will be TDY. AFISRA Vice Commander, Brigadier General John Stauffer, is in the bullpen to step up as guest speaker if needed. On the outside chance he is also not available, AFISRA Director of Staff, Mr Ken Williams, is on stand-by and ready if needed. Plan is to honor ISR Agency Airmen who have served down-range in the fight at any time over the past year. Because of current base security procedures, anyone planning to attend that does not have a current or retired military ID or Civil Service ID card must coordinate with Lackland Visitor Control at least five days in advance of the event or risk the possibility of not gaining access to the base. Details on the event and security procedures are on the FTVA website.
- POSTAL CHANGES. There was not enough time to work with the new service provider for this month's edition of the Newsletter. The changes in postal service rules of engagement will go into effect for the June Newsletter.
- HATS. Ron Haygood presented data on hat design and cost. After some discussion, motion was made, seconded, and approved to purchase 288 hats that will be available for FTVA members until supplies run out. The biggest movement of the hats comes during the anniversary events in the last week of September every year.
6. NEW BUSINESS.
- Are Airmen assigned to the Global Hawk mission eligible for FTVA membership? According to the FTVA bylaws, those who serve in support of an ISR-related mission set but who are not assigned to an organization subordinate to the ISR Agency (or its predecessor organizations) are eligible for Associate Membership. One must be assigned to the ISR Agency or its predecessor organizations, to include a subordinate organization at any level, to be eligible for full membership. No motion required or made.
- Is the FTVA Hall of Honor a source for speakers at formal (or semi-formal, or even quasi-formal) events? The FTVA Hall of Honor program was created exclusively to honor personnel who served in an extraordinary capacity in the ISR Agency or its predecessor organizations, to include all subordinate organizations at any level. No other activities were planned or considered for the Hall of Honor. Any organization desiring an FTVA Hall of Honor member as a guest speaker should feel free to contact that person directly. No motion required or made.
- Should the FTVA website have links connecting to various websites that are intended to benefit veterans? After much discussion about what a challenge it would be to vet the various websites, and then ensure all the links remain intact, the decision was made to forego this effort. Bob Baert already has several links on the site and concern was expressed about expanding the number and scope of those links. Motion made, seconded, and approved to not act on this proposal.
7. CORRESPONDENCE. NONE.
8. AROUND THE ROOM.
- Dennis "Rass" Rassmussen requested clarification on the possibility of new FTVA hats being available to present to the ISR Agency Airman who have served downrange over the past year. Ron Haygood will work with the hat vendor to ensure hats are available for the Spring Fling. There is no guarantee this will happen, but Ron will pose the query.
- Wayne Amann, AFISRA/PA:
- One idea to consider for marketing FTVA to the younger Airmen is to create a video similar to what was presented to us at the opening of this meeting. The younger crowd is very visual-based and having a video to watch allows them to see what FTVA is all about in a medium that connects and resonates with them. Another idea is to work to ensure the FTVA message is publicized by Air Force ISR Agency leadership at every opportunity. One key theme to work on is that FTVA is "us" -- meaning current ISR Agency members.
- The current FTVA Newsletter is available for Wayne to place in the ISR Agency headquarters building for distribution.
- The new ISR Agency Ambassadors have been very active already. One of the ambassadors does not have a mess dress but needs one. Motion was made, seconded, and approved to fund the ISR Agency Ambassador program to the normal annual level.
- Thanks for all the financial support provided by FTVA over the years and continuing to the present timeframe with that support. It is greatly appreciated by ISR Agency leadership.
- Bob Sherwood. Three FTVA Hall of Honor nomination packages have been received already. Deadline is June 7th, 2010.
- Mark Richardson, AFISRA Larson Awards Chief. Sincere thanks for all the support, the various programs could not exist if not for FTVA. Last year at the Maj Gen Doyle E. Larson Awards program there were 24 Air Force Specialties within the ISR Agency that competed for honors. This year there may be as many as 30. Mark will work to include the FTVA logo in all future program brochures so everyone in the audience can hopefully increase their understanding of FTVA's importance to ISR Agency efforts to take care of our Airmen.
- Ken Williams.
- The ISR Agency is coordinating to get a Senior Scout static display model in the courtyard. If that happens, the Agency will request FTVA fund the commemorative identification plaque for the new model.
- The ISR Agency Commander's Conference Room is undergoing a significant renovation that will result in the room being a very high-tech facility.
- ISR Agency headquarters hallways renovations are underway and expected to be completed in May of this year. Upgrades include new paint, new carpet, and new pictures on the walls.
9. There being no further business, motion was made, seconded, and approved to adjourn at 1502. Next meeting will be April 16, 2010 in the SSFCU Board Room, starting at 1330.
LOREN R. "PHRED" SEVENING